Dinh Le Street Hanoi

Dinh Le Street Hanoi

Dinh Le Street Hanoi is situated at the cross-road of Ngo Quyen street and Dinh Tien Hoang street in the center of Hanoi, Dinh Le is also called “Book street”. Dinh Le is the name of a small narrow street of 200 metres in length. This street is located just near the Hoan Kiem lake.

Dinh Le street map

For students and book lovers, Dinh Le book street has become a familiar place for a long time now. Stepping onto this street, you would find yourselves astonished at numerous bookshops with various colors and genres standing close together. The reason Dinh Le street attracts so many people is that it often offers a huge discount.

Dinh Le makes a strong impression on visitors not only for very long bookshop rows, but also it is always crowded with buyers. These shops are of various types, some are large and arranged into sections, which is easy for customers to seek and choose; others are small and narrow but can lure crowds of customers to their bookshelves with all kinds of books, from very old times to the present.

Arriving at Dinh Le street on special events such as New school year, International Children’s Day, International Women’s Day, Valentine’s Day…, you will have a chance to enjoy the bustling atmosphere. Books are bought to gain new knowledge by students, to give their children by parents, cookery books and novels are for women and romantic love stories are for lovers… All of them can be found in this small narrow street.

Hang Buom Street Hanoi

Hang Buom Street Hanoi

Hang Buom Street Hanoi was located near the junction of the To Lich and Red Rivers. Prior to 1945, the street was known by the French name “Rue des Voiles” but after 1954 its name was changed to Hang Buom Street.

Hang Buom street map

In the past, different kinds of boat sails which were made from homemade canvas or rush were sold on the Street. It has also been the main residential place of the Chinese people since the 17th century.

Due to the favourable geographical condition, people in Ha Khau Ward lived on trades dependent on the water. They produced different kinds of bags, sacks, trellis-matting from rattan and rush which were transported by boats to other places.

For a long time in Thang Long Capital, the feudal court had rules on residence and the place of residence for foreigners, mainly the Chinese. They were allowed to live in Dien Hung Ward, also called Duong Nhan Ward and Viet Dong Street, according to the books “Du dia chi” (Geography book) by Nguyen Trai and “Dai Nam nhat thong chi” (Essays on the United Great Vietnam) respectively. Thus, Hang Buom was not the residential place of the Chinese. They resided in Viet Dong Street (present-day Hang Ngang Street ) and then, due to a growing population, began encroaching on surrounding streets, such as Hang Bo, Phuc Kien (present-day Lan Ong Street ) and Hang Buom. Due to its location near the wharf, very favourable for exchanging goods with other localities, the area became the main residential place for the Chinese.

On Hang Buom Street stands famous Bach Ma Temple at House No. 76. The Temple worships Long Do God who was one of the four important guardian gods of Thang Long Capital. The Temple was built facing the South-east with a triumphal arch, a resting hall, an altar in the first worshipping section and an altar in the middle worshipping section and harem.

Today, many confectionaries have mushroomed on the street that has become busy and bustling around the clock.

Hang Duong Street Hanoi

Hang Duong Street Hanoi

Hang Duong Street is located in Hoan Kiem District and still retains its typical flavour that made it famous in Hanoi, processing and selling all kinds of sugar and sweets.

Hang Duong street map

Every year when people prepare for the Mid-Autumn Festival or Tet (lunar New Year Festival), the street becomes most bustling and animated. On these occasions, the owners of big shops on this street, such as Ngoc Anh, Ngoc Dung, Tung Hien, etc., can earn as much as they made in the previous ten months.

In the 1960s the locals started participating in other trades to meet the demand of Hanoians and people from neighbouring provinces. As a result, many other products are sold on the street, such as cloth, fashion accessories, souvenirs, portraitures, and particularly O mai (sweetened and spiced dried fruits), a typical nourishment of Hanoi that is made by locals.

Although O mai has never been mentioned in ancient books as a speciality in the culinary treasure of the land of Trang An and former name of Hanoi , it has quickly become very popular in the last four decades. It appears everywhere, not only in stores on Hang Duong Street , but also on other streets in Hanoi and in the northern cities and provinces, such as Hai Phong, Thai Nguyen, Hung Yen, Thai Binh and Nam Dinh.

Together with the ups and downs of history, the street’s appearance has changed but the treasured old houses like Vinh Hanh Communal House (at No.19B), Duc Mon Communal House and Pagoda (at No. 38) and Cau Dong Pagoda which have been classified as national historical relics are still preserved on the street.

Hang Ma Street Hanoi

Hang Ma Street Hanoi

Hang Ma Street Hanoi has been one of Hanoi’s typically frenetic commercial areas since the medieval times. On the occasions of traditional festivities, the street becomes filled with sounds, colours and light, bearing the imprints of the spiritual life of Orientals.

Hang Ma street map

Starting from the intersection of Hang Duong Street and ending at Phung Hung Street, the 339m-long commercial street used to be part of Vinh Hanh and Yen Phu Villages, separated by To Lich River, of Tien Tuc Commune, Tho Xuong District. The river has been filled up, thus joining the two villages. Now part of Hang Ma Ward, near Sword Lake and Dong Xuan Market, of Hoan Kiem District, it is one of Hanoi’s 36 ancient streets. The street offers various commodities and is one of the favourite destinations of tourists, domestic and foreign as well.

Hang Ma Street is also known for its tube and gable-roofed houses typical of Hanoi. Tube houses were built long and thin with a storefront and the worshipping, producing and living space in the rear. Even in these tunnel-like houses, ancient Hanoians still managed to have some space for nature.

The gable-roofed house includes the main floor plus an attic which has either a small door or round windows overlooking the street. The house has inclining tiles and an eave overhanging the street. The gable-roofed house is simply decorated with a three-step staircase, attractive lines and a curved roof.

Inhabitants of Hang Ma Street were the Tan Khai villagers who nowadays still earn a living by selling such paper decorations as paper flowers and lanterns as well as paper offerings including the Soil Genie hats and votive-paper gold.

Hang Thiec Street Hanoi

Hang Thiec Street Hanoi

Hang Thiec Street Hanoi is a craft street of tinsmiths which has existed for a long time in the Old Quarter. In the past it was in Yen Noi Village, Tien Tuc Commune of Tho Xuong District (present-day Hang Gai Ward of Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi).

Hang Thiec street map

Most of the houses in this street are old and have small garrets which make the house look like “overlapping match boxes”. Hang Thiec Street is 136m long, stretching from Thuoc Bac Street to Hang Non Street. It is the place where tinsmiths make different items, such as oil lamps, candle stands, incense burners, tea pots, tea-set trays and tips of conical hats.

After a period of development the craft also turned out other products from sheet metal, hence the street was called Rue des Ferblanties by the French.

Over the years Hang Thiec Street has virtually remained unchanged, with the craft of making tin products still being kept, turning out various kinds of utensils for daily use.

On the occasion of Mid-Autumn Festival the Street is busier because the craftsmen begin to use pieces of tin to make children’s toys, such as cars, trains, ships, planes, peach-shaped lanterns with a fairy inside, butterfly-shaped lanterns and a rabbit beating a drum.

We visited the family of Nguyen Phu Dinh, one of the families still following the craft of their forefathers, on Hang Thiec Street. His two sons have inherited their father’s skills and become artisans with golden hands.

Dinh said that payment for making tin products is low, so people who open shops on Hang Thiec Street are only engaged in trading. They receive orders for the products and have the orders filled by the tinsmiths in the rural areas.

When plastic utensils developed, Dinh and other craftsmen on Hang Thiec Street were concerned that the craft could be lost. Through many ups and downs now there are demands for tin products on the market. We saw many pails, buckets, basins and sinks made of corrugated steel piled in the shops and were told that these products would be supplied to different cities and provinces throughout the country.In the book “Old Streets of Hanoi”, American writer Lady Borton described the sound on Hang Thiec Street: “…

The roaring sounds of hammers striking against the metal resound from early morning to late at night. Vietnamese craftsmen have preserved their traditional craft until today…”

Today coming to Hang Thiec Street, we clearly see that the essential needs and useful household utensils have a good impact on the preservation and development of the long-lasting traditional craft.

Although the number of people who follow their forefathers’ crafts have become fewer and fewer, they have helped maintain the vitality of the craft streets in Hanoi and preserve its old cultural features, creating the typical characteristics of the thousand-year-old Thang Long.

Hoan Kiem Street Hanoi

Hoan Kiem Street is the short street being only 52 metres long, connecting Dinh Tien Hoang and Cau Go Streets. Cycling around Hoan Kiem lake in the early morning is the great way to discover Hanoi.

Hoan Kiem street map

Few people know of Hanoi’s shortest street, that back in the days when the city was actually a collection of villages, Hoan Kiem Street was part of Ta Vong Village, Huu Tuc Ward, Tho Xuong District.

Regardless of its size, the street has contributed to the beauty and soul of Hoan Kiem Lake . Much of the charismatic old architecture has been maintained on this boulevard that was home to some of Hanoi ’s lower middle class residents.

Hoan Kiem Lake Street clearly reflects the culture of soon to be “Thousand-year-old Hanoi ”.

Ly Quoc Su Street Hanoi

Ly Quoc Su Street

Ly Quoc Su Street is located in Hoan Kiem District, near the Church. Hanoi Ly Quoc Su Street starts from the intersection of Hang Bong and Hang Manh Streets and runs south to Nha Tho Street. This street is just about one minute walk from Hoan Kiem lake or ANZ bank.

Ly Quoc Su street map

Previously, it was part of Tien Thi Village in Thuan My Commune, Tho Xuong District and was called Rue Lamblo during the time of French colonialism.

For centuries, the 250m long Ly Quoc Su Street has always been one of the most bustling and animated streets in the capital of Hanoi. Anyone strolling on the street shares a common feeling towards it: the past and the present, the old and the new harmonize to create the unique features.

According to historical records, Ly Quoc Su means “The teacher of the court under the Ly Dynasty”. This title went to Nguyen Chi Thanh (1066-1141) who lived in Diem Xa Village of Gia Vien District (present-day Ninh Binh Province). He followed Buddhism and was known as Buddhist Monk Minh Khong. In 1136, he cured King Ly Than Tong of a disease that many famous doctors failed to do. For his unyielding virtue and talent, he was given the title “Ly Quoc Su”. King Ly Than Tong also provided him with a serene residential quarter near Bao Thien Pagoda, now Ly Quoc Su Pagoda on Ly Quoc Su Street, where he led a religious life. Ly Quoc Su died in August in Tan Dau Year (the Year of the Rooster – 1141).

Ly Quoc Su Pagoda now preserves a stele with inscriptions made by famous Doctor Le Dinh Duyen in the 8th Tu Duc Year that tells about the pagoda’s great restoration. In addition, the Pagoda has many statues of the sculptural style of the Le Dynasty and a bell named “Bao Thap tu chung” (bell of Bao Thap Temple) which was cast in the Year of the Pig (1815) in the Gia Long Dynasty.

The Street also boasts the ancient temple of Phu Ung at No.25 which was built by Phu Ung villagers in the 19th century to worship famous general Pham Ngu Lao.Together with the development of other streets in Hanoi , Ly Quoc Su Street has seen great changes as well. Shops have mushroomed on the Street, selling various products, from European jewellery, costume, perfumes and decorative lamps to traditional Vietnamese items, such as brocades, embroideries, statues, etc. All attract much attention from foreign tourists.

The Street is also known as a “must-to-visit” cuisine address of both locals and foreigners with prestigious restaurants where delicious dishes are always available, such as Quangdong roasted duck, pizzas, ribs, Ly Quoc Su pho (rice noodle soup), Mrs. My porridge, cakes, fruits mixed with salt, sugar and fresh chilli, etc.

According to a legend, famous poetess Ho Xuan Huong (in the 18th century) owned a tea stall on the street where men of letters of the land of Ha Thanh (present-day Hanoi ) socialized.

Located in the middle of Ly Quoc Su Street is Sao Viet Vistar Company Ltd., the sole representative in Vietnam of many sound, light and musical instrument companies from Japan, the US and Germany, which was established 20 years ago.

With its historical and cultural values, Ly Quoc Su Street has become an indispensable part of Hanoi and an interesting destination for foreign tourists.

Phan Dinh Phung Street Hanoi

Phan Dinh Phung Street Hanoi

Phan Dinh Phung Street Hanoi is about 1.5km long, starting from Mai Xuan Thuong Street and stretches to Hang Cot Street. It was once a trench running outside the northern wall of Thang Long Citadel in the Nguyen Dynasty (the 19th century) and a section of the former To Lich River.

Phan Dinh Phung street map

In the past, the street was Boulevard Carnot and after the August Revolution in 1945 it was renamed after Phan Dinh Phung, a strong-willed patriotic scholar in the struggle against the French colonialists (1847-1895). Phan Dinh Phung is a native of Dong Thai Village of present-day Duc Tho District, Ha Tinh Province. He was a leader of the Ha Tinh insurgent army who, responding to the royal proclamation of King Ham Nghi, fought against the French aggressors for nearly 10 years. He died on December 28, 1895 at Quat Mountain in Truong Son Range.

Along Phan Dinh Phung Street there are rows of houses of ancient French architecture built in the early 20th century. Notable among them is Cua Bac Cathedral opposite to Thang Long Citadel. The Cathedral was designed by French architect Dopolit, a priest, and built in 1931-1932. It has the shape of a rectangle, a combination of Asian and European styles and an unsymmetrical structure. Cua Bac Cathedral is known not only as a religious address but also a unique architectural work that beautifies the Hanoi urban space. The street is lined by old dracontomelum trees with clusters of little white flowers which are mentioned in many poems and music pieces.

Phan Dinh Phung Street , one of the most beautiful streets in Hanoi is familiar to many poets and writers. On the street still remain the old features of the past, such as tracks of horse-drawn carriages at the main gate of Bac Mon, traces of cannon-balls which the French shot at the citadel on April 25, 1988, and dozens of villas bearing typical French architecture.